Thursday, January 20, 2011

Carrot Soup

Well, I said I was going to do the Big Cleanse, and as much as I hate to admit it, that had better include what I eat.  Since I don't want to send my body into shock (hah!) I am starting with trying to use more whole foods in my diet.  That translates into cooking more and buying less processed food.  The other night the hubby thanked me for cooking this carrot soup and I realized I had enjoyed making it.  It's those nights when four people need to eat at four different times, there's nothing in the fridge, and no inspiration in the brain, that kill me.  When I have time and can do it mindfully, I love cooking.  So this can count as part of Step Four.  Still not ready to give up the caffeine though!

Anne's Carrot Soup

Combine 10 peeled and sliced carrots, 1 peeled and sliced potato, and 4 cups of water.  Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until veggies are soft.

Meanwhile, heat 1 Tablespoon of butter or oil in a small saucepan.  Add one medium chopped onion and 11/2 teaspoons salt and saute for 5 minutes.  Add in 2 cloves chopped garlic, and dried herbs to taste (I use oregano, thyme and basil, between 1/2 and 1 teaspoon each, heavier on the basil because I love the flavor). Saute 5 more minutes.

Once carrot mixture is soft, add onion mixture to it, and then use a handheld blender (Best. Kitchen. Tool. Ever.) and puree the whole thing.  Simmer, covered, until ready to eat.  Be careful when you take the top off as it will "bloop" at you like spaghetti sauce does.

If you need to make ahead, it reheats nicely.  

PS: I will start trying to add pictures to the posts soon.  Got to learn my new camera...  Step Three!

No comments: