Monday, November 23, 2009

Book Review: The Well-Behaved Child

The Well-Behaved Child: Discipline that Really Works! by John Rosemond

This book is described as a discipline program based on biblical principles, traditional parenting approaches, and common sense. In a nutshell, parents are parents, not friends.

I enjoyed this book. As a mom, I am familiar with the battles that often arise and the accompanying feeling of helplessness when I have tried everything I can think of to maintain control of the situation. According to this book, I have NOT tried everything. While many of the methods suggested seem extreme, I can also see where they would work. “Shock and awe” makes the point, not through abuse, but through consequences. I would recommend this book to parents who need to regain control and to those who find it difficult to separate raising a child from being his or her friend.



No comments: