Friday, September 10, 2010

Outlive Your Life book review

Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado
Can ordinary people change the world?  Max Lucado says we can.  In Outlive Your Life, Lucado presents us with the challenge of living our lives so that we have made a difference that is tangible after we are long gone.  Whether we affect one person or millions, it is what God has asked us to do.  As Denver Moore, co-author of Same Kind of Different as Me (another must read!), says: “Pastor Max tells all folks how to move from Bible studies to Bible doins’ “.
I don’t often say this in reviews, but I thought this book was amazing.  Lucado asks difficult questions of us, questions that require inner discernment, a not always comfortable task.  He draws his questions from the book of Acts and the miraculous events that took place during that time.  He then challenges each of us to make a difference beyond ourselves.  He does not leave us without help though.  Each chapter ends with scripture and a prayer focused on the lesson just taught, both of which I found key as I reflected upon Lucado’s challenges to me as a Christian.
I cannot say enough good things about this book.  I plan to go back and work my way through the discussion and action guide at the end as additional discipline for answering the call to action.  I highly recommend this book as a guide and thought-provoking study to all those who wonder if it is possible to make a difference as only one person.
FTC Required Note: I have received a complimentary or advance reading copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for an unbiased review.

No comments: